Saturday, September 5, 2009

Introduction

Welcome to my blog!

In 62 days (plus a week), I will be turning 62 years old!

I have been writing an op-ed column for two different newsletters of the Society of Women engineers for about 14 years. The column is called Thoughts on .... For example, Thoughts on ... Balance or Thoughts on ... Affirmative Action or Thoughts on ... Movies. Sometimes, I negotiate my topic with the editor if the newsletter has a theme. Sometimes, I just write about what I feel like. Always, I write through a diversity focus. Always, I tell my editor to lie to me about the deadline. Some people are prompt meeting deadlines, others are not. I consider it a diversity issue.

I have been writing a travel log for family for the past 4 years. It started when my late father had his stroke. He was in a hospital and then a nursing home for several years. I sent my messages to my sisters who could then take and read them to him. I started putting up photographs and more people got involved. Shout outs seemed quite popular.

Finally, I've been having a great time updating my status on Facebook. The format feels a bit small to me.

This week, I saw the movie Julie & Julia. I came away from it with the desire to eat good French food and the notion that I should have a blog.

All of these came together and I've started this blog, keeping the name of my column as the title. We'll see how it goes.

One of my two large cats, Denali, a medium-haired tuxedo who flops out, is now demanding some attention. His sister, Borealis, is a short thick-haired tabby. More about them and their antics another time. My husband Nick Corsano is now watching the Oakland A's game. More about baseball later as well.

For now, I'm going to take a look at the game and play with the cats. Have a good weekend!

Esther

© 2009 Esther A. Heller

No comments:

Post a Comment